Sunday, June 13, 2010

Camp Jewell - Memorial Day Weekend 2010

This year we decided to do something different for the Memorial Day weekend. Deb and Bec went to Camp Jewell last year and had so much fun they invited us to come along this year. In total, we had 17 people for one cabin! It was actually enough room, we divided the girls and boys - each were on one side. Marc says us women got the better deal, since all the girls were older and a.) either slept later, or b.) were mature enough to be very quiet in the morning. In the middle of the cabin was a good size den area, with 3 couches a coffee table and a fireplace.

But I am getting ahead of myself..

The first night, we got there around 8ish, checked in with the front desk, where Jess and Marc happened to meet us in the parking lot
. Immediately, my kids took off for the giant tube slide with Marc and Jess. Wow! We were there 2 minutes and the fun began!! I was hooked right then and there. After we checked in, we put all our stuff away and got situated. When we got to the cabin, I noticed if I wanted to sleep in the nearest bunks to the women, I would have to take the only remaining bed. Yup. It was the top bunk. Oh boy. I figured this had something to do with us Cooks always being the first ones to a rented house and me always choosing the best room. Oh and and gloating to Deb about it the whole time. Yup...this was payback. So I hoisted myself on the teeny tiny ladder and was able to throw my body onto the top bunk. Holy cow, the ceiling was so very, very close to the mattress. Ooooooh, Deb got me good this time! No matter, we won't be in the cabin much anyway. Best to take my lumps. We all crashed pretty early that night.


The next morning, we awoke to the bugle morning call "Reverie" at 7:15. Huh? Wha?? Oh and Addie standing at my bunk with Jess asking if they can go on the hike up sunrise mountain with the counselor. Huh? Wha? Oh yes, sure, go ahead....stay with the group.... They ran off, giggling and skipping. Breakfast was a buffet. But they have rules. Take all the food you want, but please finish what you take. The waste is called "Ort"...I cannot remember for the life of me why they call it that. But the head counselor taught us the song we sing at every meal to hear what the Ort poundage was from the previous meal. It was a very catchy song, I found myself singing it quite a bit. That afternoon, Addie and I had a horseback riding lesson with Deb and Jess. Right when we started, we were getting our first instructions. Of course an excited Addie had a question. "Can we make the horse go where ever we want?!" I said, "Wait a minute!! I thought we're just going to go around in circles?!" Fortunately for Addie, we were indeed going to do some tricks..like making the horse weave around cones...uh oh. I was screwed. But it was pretty funny, Deb and I had very stubborn horses and I had no idea how little control a person has over a horse. Mine wanted to stop and eat grass every chance she got. My instructor kept telling me, "Emily! Project your energy forward to the horse!! Let her feel your enthusiasm!" Or something like that. Huh?? What the hell was she talking about?? Just GO, you stupid horse!!! Anyway, it went pretty well, I was able to make her do most of what we were supposed to. And Addie's horse was very well-behaved. Hers did not eat grass. Or stop when she didn't want her to. Yes, Addie was pleased.
After breakfast, we were free to visit all the various stations for the daily fun. They have farm animals to see, archery, Mt. Wood to climb, BB guns, arts and crafts, candle making, boating, swimming, Chapel Island (a small island full of potential for pretend play), a giant tube slide, horse back riding lessons and trail rides, hike Mt. Sunrise......the list seemed endless!! So much to do!!! Where to start?? The kids were in heaven. They just bounced from activity to activity all day long. That afternoon, they went to "age groups" where they go with kids their age and a counselor to do an organized activity. Us grown-ups headed back to the cabin to nap and play cards. We were pooped!! That night they had a bonfire, with Smores and skits and a fun scavenger hunt with the counselors. Super fun. Addie and Jess both volunteered to do a song. Very cute. We all fell into bed not long after the kiddos.

The next day was much the same, we hit all our favorite stations. Also, Jason, Deb, Miles, Justin and I climbed Mt. Sunrise. We saw the AMAZING new tree house in the middle of the woods!! It was so cool. Then it was time to head back toward the cabin to build the cardboard boat for the Regatta. Marc and Matt took care of that, they were working on it for most of the morning. The kids were in charge of decorating it. The race was something to see. There were tons of campers on the beach, all waiting to race their boats. Some were pretty elaborate. All you had to do was steer the boat to the dock and back to the beach without sinking. Our boat won Most Spirit and Most Crew Members (we had 8!!). Super amusing!!! That night there was a Hoe Down Dance complete with ice cream, dancing, music, and a hay ride!!

Some other favorite parts of the weekend was the Wiffle Ball Tourney, (Kim and her crew did that, the rest of us cheered them on.) They have a brand new wiffle ball "stadium" complete with an announcer's booth and bleachers!! I thought for sure we would have played more cards at night after the kids went to bed, but I was dog tired! I barely made it past 10pm each night.

I highly recommend this camp to anyone - what a fun time. And it was so nice to hang out more with my new friend Kim. :) Many thanks to Deb and Bec for inviting us along!!!!






























5 comments:

Deb Hanna said...

ooh you beat me to the post. going to work on mine today I think. Love the new look of the blog.

Mrs. Cook said...

Well, I just threw on some pics, working on the journaling now..had to get started, don't want to get behind - summer has just started! :)

Deb Hanna said...

Love your journaling!

michelled said...

Great post! I went with Deb this past winter break and it was a blast. I loved hearing you say how tired you were. Imagine trudging through snow and pulling tubes for kids on top of everything else? So tiring! The moms we were with all anticipated hanging our for cocktails. Forget that! Much needed sleep!! Glad you had fun!

Mrs. Cook said...

Thanks Michelle! Yes, very exhausting. Camp Jewell is definitely a permanent weekend for Memorial Day. We are HOOKED!