Friday, March 20, 2009

True to form, I embarrass myself

So the man was due to come measure for the carpet.

I was flipping through the (non-TiVo) tv downstairs so I could hear when the doorbell rang - I happened to be alone in the house. I came upon some old movies and reruns. The movie Election was on. (Remember that one? With Reese Witherspoon?) I love that movie. Well, I watched that until the commercial came on, and since I can't stand commercials, I started to channel surf. Videos...no...what else what else? Oh! An old ER episode. Cool. I was especially interested since the series is so close to ending. Oh look, Dr. Green is teaching Carter how to do an epidural. Success on the first try. Neat. Oh crap, commerical. More surfing. Little House on the Prairie. Oh it's the one where Nellie got hurt and it was Laura's fault. So she felt guilty and Nellie was taking advantage of her. Shocking. Laura was just promising to do Nellie's homework when my real doorbell rang. Crap! I can't have the measuring guy know that I am watching this show. So I quickly turn off the tv. Or so I thought...

Measuring Guy came in, started measuring the upstairs, we chatted about carpet, etc, etc. When he got to the last bedroom I noticed I could hear talking downstairs. Uh oh. The receiver was still on. [Damn you Jason for all your fancy tv paraphernalia!!!] I figured, okay, it was a bit embarrassing, but it could be any show. But oh no. It got worse. It was the scene where Laura pushed Nellie in the wheelchair down the hill. Several minutes of bloodcurdling screams were now coming from my tv. "No!!!! NO!!!!! AAAahhhhhhh!!!!  LAURA!!!!!!" Oh. My. God.

Measuring Guy said, "Wow, sounds like Thriller down there!"  I was mortified. I cracked out a laugh and said, 'Mmmhmm..' He proceeded to measure the stairs. By this time I was thanking God he was almost done. And at least the screaming had subsided. Measuring Guy did a few last minute calculations, and we shook hands. I walked him to the door. Then, just as Measuring Guy is crossing the threshold, we hear all too clearly, "I'll fix you, Laura Ingalls. I'll fix you."

2 comments:

Bec Odell said...

I love that episode of LH on the P! We have the stupid receiver that stays on too. It sleeps for a few minutes then turns itself on if no one manually turns it off. I've had it start up when I'm in the shower home alone - freaks me out for a few seconds before I remember...

Deb Hanna said...

I love that show too. It could be worse it could be porn. Or that part of Election when Matthew Broderick's wife is saying, "fill me up, fill me up!" when they are in bed together. Jessica has just started reading the LHIP books- but only if there are no fairy books lying around.